Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Playing Sports Equals Good Grades

BY AMAYA BROCKINGTON, Freshman
BLYTHEWOOD-- The stereotype of the “dumb jock” has been around for years. People often think that student athletes aren’t the smartest or most of them aren't as successful compared to non-student athletes. But coaches, teachers and athletes would argue otherwise.

Sports can actually make students perform better in school. Statistically, research indicates that youth who participate in sports, whether school or community sports, perform better academically than children who do not participate in sports.

Two freshmen student athletes agreed with this claim. They believe that playing a sport helps them maintain good grades and learn discipline.



Freshman, Jordan Mims plays on the Basketball team at Blythewood High School. He said  “participating in basketball has made me a better student because my coaches push me to do better, to get my grades up so I can play more. If you don't have your grades right then you don't get to play, simple as that. This is my motivation.”

When it comes to sports most schools have a policy that if you have below a C average you are not allowed to participate in a sport. This forces athletes to keep their grades up in order to get the play time they want.

Ridge View High School freshman, Will Studivant is really motivated by this policy. He was asked how being an athlete has reflected on his academics and gave a really informative response that truly summarizes the reasons on why student athletes make better students.

“I find myself more motivated while participating in a sport because it’s basically a reward for doing the right thing, now that you play a sport you have to maintain your grades and behavior to remain on the team," Sturdivant said.

"My grades have gone up to the point where before when I didn’t pay sports I was an all D student, to where now I’m two grades away from straight A’s (88,86). Being an athlete makes me a better student because it teaches me the keys I need to be successful in the real world, responsibility (turning in correct work on time), accountability (being able to maintain above average grades still while showing up to each and every practice, meetings, games etc. Also it helps you to develop a work ethic which everyone will need at some point in his or her life to be successful,” he added.

Participating in sports can make students academically more successful. Juggling sports and studies can have a great impact on students. Good grades equal play time and that’s the key to their motivation.