Monday, April 3, 2017

MILITARY MAN TO A FAMILY MAN


Glennith Johnson being supportive the military and family way


BY ARMONI MORRIS, Sophomore
JOHNSON VIDEO FEATURE
BLYTHEWOOD--Glennith C. Johnson, a man with a plan as people would say.


The Beginning
Johnson grew up in Sumter, South Carolina, as a little one he struggled with reading.


“I had to work harder in that curriculum,” Johnson said.


He didn’t attend preschool but went straight to first grade.


“I was on safety patrol and I was an editor of The Penny Saver newspaper,” Johnson said.


He worked as a kid and believed he could do anything possible as long as he put his mind to it.


“I went to the home of the junior Gamecocks Sumter High School,” Johnson said. To keep him occupied and out of trouble he participated in marching band, basketball, and watched television.


 Johnson also attended a program called ‘Upward Bound’ to help him jump start his career.


“Without this program I would have been lost,” Johnson said.


The Use of College
Soon after that, he headed straight to The University of South Carolina. He had a roommate who was in ROTC who encourage him to join. While in college he had a full time class schedule and a full time job.


Johnson worked at Village Inn Pizza Parlor. He attended 15 hours of school throughout the week and worked a full time job, 40 hours a week.


“My schedule throughout the week was very stressful but I got through it, I had no choice,” Johnson said.


Marriage and Relocation
Throughout those years he met his beautiful wife Denine Ward-Johnson.


“My husband is an awesome man, he’s so straight forward and loving,” Mrs. Johnson said.


In 1984 they got hitched and Mr. Johnson started his Summer Training on the Tyndall Air Force Base.


“People thought I wasn’t cut out for the job but I showed them,” Johnson said. Later, he was chosen to be Second Lieutenant. In 1981 he attended University of South Carolina school of law where he studied for four  years.


Then he was relocated to an internship in Charleston which he was there for two years, as he worked at a government office in Lockhart.


“I moved around a lot, I mean it was bound to happen while in the military,” Johnson said.


“I would describe my father as out-going, like I can’t even count on my fingers how many times we moved,” son Christian Johnson said.


Support
From 1985 to 1988 he was placed in Aeronautical systems division which the men brought and worked cleaning up air force bases that were polluted, when President Reagan signed The Salt 2 Treaty with the Soviet Union.
From 1988 to 1991 he was stationed at Shaw Air Force Base and assigned to CENTAF Headquarters United States Central Command Air Forces


“Now in 1990 I was the one of the first 20 people deployed to prepare for the deployment of U.S troops to stop the aggression of Saddam Hussein that was one of my greatest accomplishment yet,” Johnson said.


During his deployment he was responsible for purchasing food, water, transportation, housing, and other needed supplies and services.


 “I was scared, best believe that, you really did not know what to expect out there,” Johnson said.


He traveled so many places and got to experience so much in his young age.
“When I was out there, you had to put your fear behind you and stay focus on the mission and do it for the people for my country,” He stated.


Appreciation
Developing to this new lifestyle he stated he that his wife was always his backbone. She supported every decision he did even though she upset, she did what she had to do to be a great woman.
“My dad is my hero, and he will never be replaced,” the youngest daughter Gabriel Johnson said.


“Over the years my father has been my right hand man goofy and dependable,” Brianna Johnson said.


Awards
In 1991, he returned home and was awarded the Bronze Star for his service of Desert/Shield Desert storm. While in the reserved he supported the war in Afghanistan and was awarded the Merictoriest Service Medal. For those who distinguished themselves by outstanding meritorious achievements.


He retired from the United States Air Force Reserve in June of 2009 as a Lieutenant Colonel.


When he separated from active duty in 1991 he embarked on a career as an assistant chief counsel with the the South Carolina Department of Highways and Public Transportation now known as SCDOT.


He also served in several capacities including nine years as the deputy director/ deputy security of mass transit for the agency.


The End of the Military Life
He ended his career with SCDOT serving as the assistant contract council where he provided legal advice to the secretary and chief procurement officer on procurement issues and consulting contracts.


He then later retired from SCDOT after 22 and a half years of service.


Johnson has five children his oldest is my Krysta, him and his wife had four other children Dominique, Brianna, Christian, And Gabriel. With two grandkids Amir and Armoni. He spends all of his time now at church and caring for his kids and grandkids.