Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Claiborne leads BHS singers

BY KALEN MATTOCKS, Sophomore

BLYTHEWOOD -- Using her time, skills, and musical ability, Kristin Claiborne represents an outstanding role model and teacher. She invests daily effort to make not only her choruses, but the girls basketball team and the acaBengals represent their best.e

She makes sure they sound great and play to their best ability. It is evident how involved she is at Blythewood High School.


“I'm involved in all choirs at BHS, the acaBengals, girls basketball, and I help Mr. Curry as an advisor for the senior class,” Claiborne said. “I definitely do the most with all of my singing groups. Quite simply because it is my job, and I like it. I spend the most time and energy with the program and my kids in it.”

Her involvement in extracurricular activities allows a fair amount of time to discover different parts of South Carolina, particularly Blythewood.

“My favorite thing figuratively is the family vibe I get between my students and my colleagues. My favorite thing literally is that I really love the acaBengals - they're becoming the sort of fearless young musicians that I hope all of my students will become... plus, they're complete clowns,” Claiborne said.

Managing many extracurricular activities can consume lots of time out of daily life. But there is always time to have fun and enjoy the activities.

“Choir takes about 25 hours a week (1 choir = 5 hours a week... I have 5 classes). The acaBengals take about 6-7 hours per week, depending on whether we meet on Saturdays. During the off-season, basketball takes 8-10 hours a week. During the season, that time increases to about 12-20 hours a week, depending on travel time and whether or not we have a weekend tournament,” Claiborne said.

“To be honest, I haven't really done too much yet with the senior class, so that hasn't taken any time yet. They're all so much fun. I love watching my students grow into better musicians and stronger people. We clown around so much, but we get stuff done. I love it,” Claiborne said.

There is a reasons why she made these groups and roles accepted among them.

“I've been called a mentor, a friend, a mom, a big sister... the whole nine. When it comes to being a teacher, I think all of those come with the territory. I created 4 different choirs because students needed to be grouped with others who are on similar levels academically as they are. I started the acaBengals because my students really wanted a group that focused on pop music, and I wanted a vocal jazz group - this group is the best of both worlds for me. I didn't create the basketball program, but I love being able to coach these girls,” Claiborne said.

There is a reason to enjoy a job, mainly when it involves something that has always been loved.

“I enjoy the feeling I get while making it. The fact that you can love music already out there and then turn to create your own? That is fascinating to me. I love that a single entity, like music, can be so versatile in culture, influence, rhythm, melody, harmony, etc., and the fact that it has the power to alter, improve the mood of people from all walks of life is incredible,” said Claiborne.

Students involved in some of the programs Claiborne teaches do not always realize the activities she does throughout daily life.

“I am involved with the Treble Singers, which is one of the choirs that Ms. Claiborne teaches,” sophomore Emily Gayle said.

“I think these groups take up a lot of daily time in her life. Ms. Claiborne is involved in the basketball program, outside of school choirs and symphonies, and other activities in school,” Gayle said.

“I'm involved in both concert choir and acapella,” junior Tristian Smith said.

“I think that Chorus and Acapella takes up most of her life. Ms. Claiborne is  involved in acapella, chorus, and her sorority,” said Smith.

Students involved in these programs have to balance these engagement's with homework and athletics. They still have time to enjoy it all.

“I practice while I do my homework or when I have a little free time. I enjoy spending time with my friends that are in the program. We have a lot of fun hanging out and rehearsing together. Ms. Claiborne is also a really fun teacher and she has a lot of fun with us,” Gayle said.

“I balance these two between doing something productive like working out or playing sports. What I enjoy about the groups is that I think they just give me a little bit more confidence in myself,” said Smith.

Not only does Claiborne enjoy what she's made, but her students do also. She has laid down a foundation that will hold the ground steady for each individual program.