Monday, March 9, 2015

Blythewood High School Teacher, Burns tells all

BY KRISTIAN JOHNSON, Freshman

BYTHEWOOD--Miss Iesha Burns teaches Algebra 1 and Geometry at BHS. This is Burns' first year teaching at Blythewood.

"I realized I wanted to be a math teacher my senior year in high school after doing a project where I had to teach my calculus class a lesson," Burns said.


Burns went to USC- Columbia and graduated with her bachelor's in math in 3 years, and her master's of teaching in 1 year.




Burns has very high expectations for her students.

Mentioned on her blog, “This year, expect to be challenged and pushed beyond your comfort, but also expect to grow exponentially as a mathematician.”

Her website also states,"Expectations are high and failure is not an option!"

“Yes, I think that she is helping me become a better math student,” London Mancuso said.

According to her students, Burns has taught the class excellent math skills.

“Yes, she has helped me succeed in math,” Savannah Harrington said.

Burns is very social outside of school as well.

"When I'm not teaching, I enjoy reading, playing basketball, watching movies, spending time with my family, and being active in my local church," Burns stated.