Wednesday, February 15, 2017

ULTIMATE AMERICAN DREAM


Louis-Jean family: from Haiti to America

BY VANESSA LOUIS-JEAN, Freshman


Louis-Jean Video Feature

BLYTHEWOOD---Pascale Louis-Jean looks at photos from her past and is able to reminisce about the good life she has had.  From being an immigrant to becoming a U.S citizen she has experienced all walks of life.


The Beginning
“I remember like it was yesterday. We moved in the middle of the night. My mother, Solange, vigorously shook me as I was sleeping. Tepas, Tepas (Pascale's Haitian name). We had to leave Haiti to go to America because Papa Doc is no longer the dictator of Haiti. If we had stayed, we would have been executed because my father was on the side of Papa Doc,” Pascale said


This is the case for many immigrants coming from countries in times where there was a government struggle between two political parties.


Their only escape was a new land.



Pascale left Haiti when she was four, She began the new year of 1971 in America.


Haiti is a country located in the Caribbean. Only a two hour plane ride from Washington, D.C.


This single plane ride in 1971 to New York changed Pascale's life indefinitely.


Pascale begins to tear up remembering the experience of leaving her home, not because it is sad but rather because it was life-changing.


“In a way I miss Haiti because it is my motherland. But, America has always been my home,” Pascale said.


In New York, there are many neighborhoods heavily concentrated with Haitian immigrants especially Queens, New York.


New York has many Haitian restaurants, Catholic schools and churches. This is where Pascale made a new life in America while still being in touch with her culture. Which made the transition easier.


However it was still a drastic change from what she was used to.


The Transition
“The transition was harder in New York because it was devastating. In Haiti, we were rich and well known and respected. I lived in a mansion with 6 maids and a chauffeur. When we moved to New Jersey It was a three bedroom apartment. Me and my parents did not speak a word of English.We became  common immigrants. It was devastating to my father who was a lawyer and governor in Haiti,” Pascale said.


Her Husband, Raymond experienced a similar experience from leaving Haiti to come to New York.  


“The transition was hard because kids made fun of my accent and me not understanding the language,” Raymond said


Most importantly, Raymond and Pascale were able to relate to their similar experience and overcome adversity while adjusting to the American way when they met in their early teens in New York.


They can both agree that America has been such a great opportunity to them but their love for the country will never change.


But to really enjoy the opportunities given to all Americans, Pascale had to become a citizen.


“To be honest it was very difficult because I felt like I was betraying my naturalism of being haitian. You had to actually say you had to renounce your ethnic background. I had tears in my eyes,” Pascale said.


“Everything. The culture, the language, the morals, the ethics. Being Hatian is an experience,” she added.


However, Raymond was not able to become a citizen due to the intense love for his country.


“Proud to be Haitian, and God created me to be Haitian. Even though it is poor, dangerous place I am always Haitian first," Raymond said.
From leaving Haiti and coming to America, Pascale and Raymond have learned valuable lessons about themselves and what they can accomplish.


The Progress
Pascale and Raymond had their first child, Victoria in 1993. Even though, she is an American citizen, Victoria is still in touch with her parents' Haitian culture.


“I love my culture because my mom taught me so many things about it," Victoria said.


Pascale has learned that she is capable to establish her own company that helps the community with free healthcare. She was able to create the best life she could have ever dreamed of when she left Haiti. She is able to learn English and be fluent in four languages.


Raymond has learned that he is capable build his own house from scratch. He was able to create his own restaurant. He was able to get a Porsche, a dream car he wanted for years.


America has shown these two individuals that anything is possible. Success and Blessings can be given to anyone who works hard enough. But their greatest accomplishment is defying the odds of a new land and a new language.