Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Bath bomb trend takes off

BY SHELBY TRUITT, Freshman

BLYTHEWOOD--The bath bomb bubbles and fizzes as you drop it into the water. A multitude of colors burst out of the bath bomb and gradually turns your bath into a rainbow, letting off a wonderful aroma of flowers and vanilla.

This has been a recent trend, started in December 2014.



People have recently heard about the bath bombs and one of the most popular stores who sells bath bombs is called Lush.

Lush sells anything from makeup to face masks to lip scrubs but is most famous for their bath bombs.

“My favorite bath bombs are, of course like many others, from Lush. They have such a great variety of colors and scents. Plus the quality is amazing. I can’t say I’ve had a bad bath when I’ve used one of their bath bombs,” sophomore Emery Turner said.

Turner said she starting using them in December 2015 right after Christmas, as she received some as a Christmas present.

“I enjoy using bath bombs because they are very relaxing and interesting,” freshman Haley Thomas stated.

Thomas’ favorite bath bombs are from Ulta and she hopes to try some from Lush in the near future.

As most people chose to use bath bombs while under loads of stress, some people just use them for the experience.

“I use bath bombs when I am stressed out from school. Before I discovered bath bombs I took bubble baths as stress relief but I tried a bath bomb once and realized they provide me with not only stress relief but also adds some color to my life,” freshman Ellie Feuerstein said.

Recently, Lush has been sold out of practically all bath bombs in store because of the popular trend in the recent months.

“My experience at Lush has always been a stressful one. I go to the location in Southpark mall in Charlotte. The store isn’t very big and has lots of tables in it which creates very little walking room. It is always crowded in there and I don’t enjoy that I have to spend 20 minutes in there trying to get a few bath bombs. The products that you get in the end are worth the 20 minutes of stress, in my opinion,” Turner said.

Turner believes Lush is so popular because they do not test on animals which lately has been a concern to many people.

“I consider bath bombs a trend because everyone started using them once they were featured on popular social media accounts,” Thomas said.

The first social media post about a bath bomb was in December of 2014 on Tumblr.

According to the Lush website, the bath bomb is an original Lush invention which may be why Lush bath bombs are so popular.

“I would say bath bombs are a trend and they have continued to grow bigger. Anybody can use a bath bomb and I think that is why they are so popular. It is not targeted at one specific audience, if a person doesn’t like baths, they still enjoy watching how a bath bomb works so it is something that can be enjoyed in many different ways,” Turner said.
Many people's favorite things about bath bombs from Lush are the quirky names they have, such as, Twilight, Intergalactic, and Ickle Baby Bot.

“My favorite thing about using a bath bomb is watching it dissolve in the water. It is such a cool process to see the solid burst into colors. I just think colorful baths add a sense of fun to a normal bath,” Turner said.

This recent trend has spread through social media, including popular beauty Twitter accounts.

“I first heard about bath bombs through pictures on social media. I saw people taking pictures or videos of the bath bombs and thought they look very interesting and I needed to try them for myself,” Feuerstein said.

Feuerstein enjoys using bath bombs because of the stress relief and expects this trend to grow even more within the next few years.

Bath bombs take boring baths and make it fun again.