Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Alum Delivers Substantial Gift to BHS

BY JOSEPH LOPES, Junior


BLYTHEWOOD -- Whether it’s defensive tackles, interceptions, or donations, Justin Bethel has been giving to Blythewood High School since it opened.


Bethel, who led the BHS varsity football team to a state championship on its first run in 2006, was drafted in the sixth round out of Presbyterian College by the National Football League’s Arizona Cardinals.


Since leaving Blythewood, he played football at Presbyterian College for four years, and has been selected to participate in the Pro Bowl three times.


On April 9, Bethel made his way back to where his journey began to make a sizable donation of $100,000 to the BHS Education Foundation.


I feel like the position I’m in I make enough to take care of me and the people who helped me get to where I am at. And I felt it would it would be proper to give back to the place where it started everything, Bethel told The State.


Bethel stood at the podium with crutches as a result of a recent surgery, and the crowd erupted as the check was presented, visually humbled at the reaction he received.


“It gave me chills. All I could think about was the fact that someone came back to our school to give something so large. The reception he got was a summary of what Blythewood is all about” senior William Sheffield said.


Sheffield moved to the Blythewood area in August, and he insisted that he has not seen a school with so much spirit and pride.


“It warms my heart that people of so many races and backgrounds can get together and demonstrate such respect,” Sheffield added.


Principal Dr. Brenda Hafner had some encouraging words to give to the some 1,800 students in the gymnasium that day,


“I know today has been hectic with the adjusted schedule, but we could not pass up the opportunity to show what success comes out of this school. One day this could be you up at the podium at the level of success as Justin,” Hafner said.


BHS is humbled to receive the gift from Bethel, and the teachers at the school are eager to see what the money will be used for.


“I hope we could use the money to get rid of these portables,”  second year teacher Jason Gayheart jokingly said.


“All jokes aside, I think Mr. Bethel is a great example of somebody doing what they love and being successful. Him coming to the school to present the check in person just made it that more special,” Gayheart added.


Whatever the donation is used for, it will be appreciated by all students and staff.


“The money is great, don’t get me wrong. What’s better than the money is the lesson the kids learned; you can be successful just being a kid from Blythewood,” Gayheart concluded.