Friday, January 15, 2016

Kidney transplant gives Durant new life

BY CAROLINE REYNOLDS, Freshman

BLYTHEWOOD -- John Durant needed a kidney and didn’t know who to turn to.

IMG_1624.JPG
Joel Reynolds buttons up his blue dress shirt, and puts on his Organ Donor pin to get ready for the church service that morning. He gets in his truck, that has a license plate saying “Donate Life”.

Reynolds gave John Durant, his brother-in-law, a kidney when he needed it the most on June 15, 2011.

Durant has Alport Syndrome. According to the National Kidney Foundation, Alport Syndrome is a genetic disorder that causes kidney and hearing failure. He was tested for Alport Syndrome at a very young age, even as little as an infant.



Durant had his first transplant in 1991, when he was just 25.

“I remember John having his first transplant. Waiting for the kidney was hard, but I remember waiting by the elevator for him. When the doors opened, he gave us a double thumbs up because he already felt so much better,” said Joel’s wife, Amy Reynolds.

Just because Amy was adopted, doesn’t mean the siblings didn’t share a special bond.

“John is an amazing person and brother. I firmly believe God placed him on Earth to inspire many people with his life story,” Amy said.

Durant’s illness didn’t always bring the worst things into his family's life, but it brought along many special moments.  

“John has had many difficult health problems in his life, but I count every single one of them as a blessing in disguise. If he had been a healthy child, my parents would most likely not have adopted me,” Amy said.


Testing the limits
IMG_5032.JPGWaiting on an organ can be a tricky process. People could get one the day they get put on the waiting list, or it could take many years.

Getting an organ from someone they

know can be very sentimental, and faster if they’re in need.

The testing is tedious, including usually four months of work being done to see if they are compatible with the person needing the organ.

“I tried so hard, but they wouldn’t let me donate since they don’t know my health background because I'm adopted,” Amy said.

Out of all of Durant’s family, Joel was the right match.

“I remember realizing we were the same blood type, and thinking that I might be a match,” Joel said.

Even though Joel and John aren’t biological family, that didn’t stop him from donating.

“Joel has a strong belonging to his family and mine,” said Amy, with a smile across her face.

Joel was friends with John throughout their time at Clemson together, and then when Joel married Amy, the two became very close.

“Choosing whether or not to donate my kidney to John was no problem for me. I love him as a brother and would do anything for him,” Joel said.

Joel went through many tests and was finally told he was the right match for John.

“I remember being so happy that John didn’t have to wait any longer, and I was happy I was going to be with him every step of the way,” Joel said.

Ringing the bell

The kidney transplant was completed at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston.

“I remember laying on the table

IMG_1623.JPG

on my side. They had me shaped so I looked like a rainbow,” Joel said.

The transplant took around three hours according to Joel.

“I sat in the waiting room, doing crossword puzzles with John’s wife. This being the second transplant John had been through, I didn’t have much anxiety,” Amy said.

After the transplant was done, both Joel and John rang the bell in the hospital.

“Ringing the bell meant a lot to both of us. It meant to me that everything was going to be okay,” Joel stated.

The bell symbolizes that the surgery went well, and everyone is healthy.

“I remember him sitting in the backseat of our minivan, holding on to the handle and saying ‘ouch’ on every bump we went over on the ride home,” said Amy, looking over at her husband.

“I now have undeniable respect for people who go through any transplant,” Joel stated.

Being a donor can make a special bond with the person they donate to, along with relationships they form with other donors, or recipients.

“Whenever I meet someone else that is a donor or received an organ donation, I feel satisfied and we automatically have a friendship and respect for each other,” Joel said.

After the transplant, Joel later donated his old car to The National Kidney Foundation.

“I donated my car to help support The National Kidney Foundation. I want to help them any way I can,” Joel said.

Although both sides of the transplant went through pain and suffering, it brought many positive things into both of their lives.

“Donating my kidney was one of the greatest decisions I have ever made,” Joel said.

Going through the transplant together created a special bond between Joel and John that will forever be a special place in their hearts.