Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Lyles transitions from BHS to USC

BY ALESSIA LYLES, Sophomore

BLYTHEWOOD -- High school is definitely a journey no one will ever forget. It is filled with so many memories that will last a lifetime.

Once high school is over, there comes the big step and transition into the real world. For some, the transition is college.

Many students have their own high school experience they will never forget, but their experiences are definitely not all the same.                

                                                  
Devonte Lyles is currently a college student attending the University of South Carolina. He graduated from Blythewood High School June 1, 2012.



“I transferred to Blythewood High School my 10th grade year, so naturally I was nervous starting out. I was always the quiet one in class; though I always paid attention and focused on my studies,” Lyles said.

For some, transferring to a new school can be nerve racking with having to figure everything out and getting use to the new environment. Also, having to meet new people and getting to know everyone.

“I started making friends towards the end of my first semester at Blythewood and as I began to become familiar with the school. My 11th and 12th grade years were much more enjoyable since I had become more comfortable there and I was taking classes that interested me,” Lyles said.

Graduation day could possibly be the biggest and most important day of a student's high school career. A day full of joy and sadness at the same time and the last chance to say goodbye.

“Graduation day brought back the same nervousness as my very first day of high school, but it was also exciting because I got to be there with my family and the friends that I had met along the way,” Lyles said.

Becoming an Adult

As a parent, it is difficult to see a child grow up. Sometimes it happens so fast and it is hard to believe.

“Seeing him walk across that stage made me very proud as a parent to see my child accomplish something that he has worked so hard for and that made him proud as well,” Alberta Lyles, Devonte’s mother, said.

“When he started making his own decisions and being confident enough in himself to trust the decisions he made and not second guess them made me realize he was becoming an adult," Charles Lyles, Devonte’s father, said.

Attending College for the First Time

Devonte planned on going to college once his high school course was completed.

He immediately wondered what college would be like and if it was anything he expected it to be.

“What I expected college to be versus what it actually is for me are two completely different things. Initially I was afraid of college because I'd been hearing rumors of how difficult it is, but it isn't as bad as I thought,” Lyles said.

The first day of school can be one of the toughest school days due to worrying about finding classes, meeting new people, and getting to know the teachers.

Lyles described how he felt on his first day of high school versus his first day of college.

“I would say the first days were pretty similar, but with college I was less nervous and more eager as well as more comfortable because it was kind of like the first day where everyone was a "transfer" student, or came from many different areas and backgrounds,” Lyles said.

High School vs. College

High school and college are very different from each other. They both involve learning and having a sufficient amount of work, but just in different aspects.  It is one of the biggest transitions a student may make in his or her lifetime.

“One thing about college that can be considered a gift and a curse compared to high school is that you have much more freedom. With that freedom comes more responsibilities, and it is entirely up to us to manage that appropriately,” Lyles said.

Lyles also says he prefers college rather than high school solely for the fact he has endless opportunities and resources to learn about and can focus on any area of study he so chooses.    
 
Some students may think high school is more challenging and others may think college is more challenging.

Depending on the classes and activities outside of school, learning to manage time and having responsibility comes in handy.

“The hardest thing about being a college student is at that time we are also transitioning into adulthood and it can be overwhelming sometimes trying to handle everything on our own,” Lyles stated.

Having Regrets

Every student takes on high school differently. Some may get more involved than others and try out new things they never thought they would.

However, not taking advantage of all the opportunities given can result in living life with regrets.

Lyles says his biggest regret in high school was not taking 100 percent advantage of some of the opportunities he was offered that would have benefited him in college.

There are times where a person wishes they could go back and redo something a little different or appreciate a certain situation more than they did before.

A recap of those four years of high school filled with so many memories, good and bad days, and doing something that could result in regrets later in time could have a person wanting to go back in time.

“I don't believe there's anything major I would do if I could go back to high school, maybe study just a little bit harder so that I could have gotten a 5 on my AP Physics Exam,” Lyles stated.

Everyone grows up, whether they want it to happen or not, but it is up to them how they choose to cherish those precious memories and move on to the next big thing.