Friday, May 13, 2016

Baby Got Backhand: Mobley Soars On and Off the Court

BY NICOLE WELCH, Junior
BLYTHEWOOD--Caitlin Mobley, a junior at BHS who has been playing tennis ever since she was introduced to the sport by her father over 10 years ago, was unanimously elected captain of the BHS varsity girls tennis team in December.

Isabelle Livoti, who has been playing tennis with Mobley for two years, says that she voted for Mobley because she feels like her experience and leadership skills will help lead their team to victory.

“Caitlin is supportive, funny, kind to everyone, inclusive, and encouraging, and that’s why I voted for her. She makes me a better player by always pushing me to better my game, even when the tennis season is over,” Livoti said.

This year will be especially challenging for the girls varsity team since they have moved up to a 5A classification and will be playing tougher opponents, but Brenda Warnow, who has been the tennis  coach  for BHS for years, isn’t worried and thinks that Mobley will bring both spirit and motivation to the team.

“She is such a good player because she is always cheering on her teammates and knows how to soothe a player that has lost and convince them that next time will be better, qualities like those are what will make her a great captain,” Warnow said.

As the newly appointed team leader, Mobley plans to establish an atmosphere of support and encouragement so everyone on the team can feel supported during this challenging upcoming season.

When she is not playing tennis Mobley likes to read and take naps, but since she is currently taking multiple AP classes on top of playing a varsity sport she doesn’t have much time for either.

However, she does not let playing the sport she loves interfere with her school work,

I make sure to plan out my days so that I can get all of my homework done in time to do tennis and other activities. On game days, I do homework when I'm not playing and finishing up when I get home or sometime in the morning. I am a STUDENT athlete so homework is a priority,” Mobley said.  

As a rising senior, next year will be Mobley’s last year playing for BHS and while she doesn’t plan on playing tennis in college she does want to continue playing recreationally. Even though she will be leaving for college soon she will always remember her time on the BHS tennis team and all the memories that she and her teammates made,

“One of my favorite things about playing tennis here at BHS is the suspense and anticipation that comes with waiting for the last court to finish to see if that court was the one that would make or break the win, and when I think back my favorite memories of being on the team were the time when me and the rest of my teammates were hanging out together like at our annual Christmas party,” Mobley said.