Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Sedio Leads Award Winning Culinary Program

BY BRENDAN GILLAN, Junior

BLYTHEWOOD -- Blythewood High School's Culinary program is one of the most notable features of the school. Chef Tom Sedio came to Blythewood about two years ago and has taken control of the prestigious culinary program.

Some students do not know much about this relatively new teacher. He is an enthusiastic teacher, and he takes his job seriously. His past experience and training make him one of the most interesting teachers in the school.

Sedio had an early start in the culinary field and has formal education in the industry.


“I started working in this industry in high school and just fell in love with it,” and, “I went to Johnson & Wales University and it was a great worth of knowledge,” he stated.

“In the past I have worked as an executive chef in several restaurants, I have owned my own restaurant, I have been a food and beverage director for Hilton, and I have also taught a part-time culinary arts class at USC,” Sedio stated.

Richland School District 2 contacted Sedio when the former Chef, William Turner, had to retire due to health issues. Sedio said that there were many candidates for the job.

There was an extensive interview process, but in the end he is glad he got the position. Not only has Sedio taught students, but he has learned how to interact with the students and has also learned from the students.

Sedio shares his experience and knowledge with the students every day when he teaches his classes. Sedio administers three courses in the culinary program: Introduction to Culinary, Culinary 1, and Culinary 2.
Two of his major focuses are food safety and the business side of the culinary field. A whole two weeks of course is dedicated to food safety and it’s importance. One must pass a servsafe test to be able to start cooking and using equipment in the kitchen.

The growth of the culinary program is one of the priorities that Sedio has set for himself and the students.

“I would like to see student alumni mentor more experienced students mentor new students and teach them in order to simulate the hierarchy of a restaurant,” Sedio stated.

“I am  also starting to get more active community groups involved with our program and the students are reaching out with internships and volunteer hours,” Sedio said.

“Its an interesting class and I have come to know more about the industry and also about my own personal skills. I used to only be able to make simple things, but now because of the class I will occasionally make dinner for my family. I think that we could cook a bit more, but in the end the class fun and you learn a lot. I would recommend the class to anyone that may want to take the course," Senior Kary Monet Francisco said.

Sedio and the culinary program's influences are not limited to the school campus. As Sedio said earlier he would like to become more involved in the community of Blythewood by hosting events and other things.

The culinary team also travels across the state to compete in competitions and has won awards in the past. Blythewood High School placed third at the 2013 Carolinas ProStart Invitational held in Charleston on March 25-26.

Sedio said , “I am starting to get more active community groups involved with our program and I am also reaching out and trying to get more involved in this town.”  






The influences of Sedio and the program also reach out to peoples homes. Christine Gillan, a mother of a student that was in the culinary program stated, “My son learned many culinary skills and  has made some of the most amazing meals I have ever had. Sedio took my son's interest and turned it into a passion. My son is not the only one reaping the benefits, I am too!”

Sedio has successfully taken the reigns of the Blythewood Culinary program with his vast history and experience in the field. Not all schools have their own culinary program where students may learn about the culinary industry and learn how to make exquisite meals. In the future Sedio hopes that Blythewood High School's culinary program will stand as a beacon to other schools. Sedio also hopes to be a good role model to his students that want to work in the culinary industry