Thursday, November 3, 2016

Learning Styles and Students are Affected

BY TALIYAH CROSBY,FRESHMAN
BLYTHEWOOD- Visual learners learn best by images of by seeing the task being performed according to The University of Illinois Extension.

“I think students learn best by visual learning,” Biology teacher Kimberly Scott said.
There are different types of learners, but the the most common types are visual, auditory and kinesthetic learners. Most students fall into the category of visual learners, 40% of secondary students are visual learners.

All teachers teach in many different ways.

“I try to use stimulation with music and labs hands on,” Scott said. “Students concentrate more when I am playing music, depending on their learning style they pick up information better.”

Every child learns in a different way. Auditory learners learn by listening to music, facts and or musical pieces according to the University of Illinois Extension. Some of the students may not be able to read well because they are not able to visualize what's happening in a book or story.
One of the many students that go too Blythewood High School learn visually.
“I learn visually,” freshman Aaliyah Crosby said.  

According to the University of Illinois extension 20% of secondary students, including Crosby, are visual learners.

Not all students learn the same way and not all teachers teach the same way, but many teachers try to teach auditorily or visually.

“I feel like if my teacher teaches in a different way then I would struggle and wouldn't be able to understand any of the work. My grades would go down and there goes my future,” said Crosby.

Parents, family teens and children all think about their future.  What becomes of their grades becomes of their career.  

“I learn best by movement or Kinesthetically,” said Amy Crosby who works at Still Hopes Retirement Community.

Most of the work she does are hands on but, the way she was taught still affects her today.

“Yes it contributes to how you complete your task,” said Crosby.

“Yes, when I am doing something if I have to read and or listen and remember it, I may not,” Crosby said.


Children are affected by the way they learn on a daily basis. It's important to know that the way a child learns can affect them at school, the workplace and their professional jobs.