Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Counselor provides great resource for students

BY CARTER PARKER,  Freshman
BLYTHEWOOD--  At Blythewood High School being a counselor is a significant occupation for the school’s function.

In Lashune Butler’s office there are students coming in and out each day she’s here. She also has work stacked up high. Her file cabinet filled with information. Her office located in room 402.

To get into counseling, Butler says she had to do no less than 300 hours of service learning. She had to write a large number of papers and go through a great extent of training. She has yet to receive her LPC-Licensed professional counselor degree.



Butler says “Being a counselor helps me know what not to do with my child from some of the things I see in here.  It shows me there is definitely a strong need for more counselors from the issues I come across.”

“I don’t let it stress me,” she says, “I take it one day at a time to balance everything and I put forth the issues that have the strongest need.”

“When I’m not able to help somebody because the family won’t allow me to help the student.”  She describes as the most challenging part of her job.
“For the most rewarding part,” she stated, “when I know I’ve helped someone or when someone tells me that I’ve made a difference in their life and that they couldn’t get through it without me.”

For the other students or people who aspire being a counselor, Butler has some advice. “Know what you’re getting yourself into. Keep an open mind about the things you hear. Don’t get caught up in your own personal feelings and just listen to the client.”

Dr. Jonathan McCullough, school psychologist, says that he’s very glad Butler works here at BHS because she fills a need here. McCullough also described her as “very helpful.”

“I imagine it’s a lot like mine,” is how McCullough interpreted her job. “She probably sees students all day and is a problem solver. She works with students, parents, and teachers as well.”

He thinks the most challenging part of her job would be “Figuring out what her clients need and how to help them.”

According to Goodtherapy.org, before beginning formal training they need a bachelor’s degree at a college or university to give them a strong background. Then they would take classes in interpersonal, group, family, and child psychology. As well as ethics in therapy, psychological theories, research methods, and clinical best practices for their Master’s degree.

They need their doctoral degree, the highest educational level a therapist can achieve. Though it is not required, they would have to get a doctorate if they plan to be a licensed psychologist. It also helps gain more knowledge on their topics and the issues they see in the office.

She has teachers and parents coming in talking about her patients. SHe has a computer to set appointments and a notepad to write down all the information she needs.