Friday, December 11, 2015

Wickham puts energy and passion into his music

BY AISHIKA SEN, Junior

IMG_1531.jpgBLYTHEWOOD-- Marcus Wickham plays in front of a crowd of varying ages and size in a small beat down bar that feels like home to some of the kids in there.

Wickham is a senior at Blythewood High School who has proven to be a very unique addition to the student body. This individual has been balancing being an athlete, an actor, and a musician, while staying on top of his studies.


What Marcus does outside of the classroom

IMG_7639.jpgWickham is an active member of the drama department and has been participating in it since he was a sophomore.

“Speech and speaking in front of large groups has always been very easy for me. I also find it fun to live a character’s life and entertain people in general,” Wickham says to explain why he is passionate about drama.

Wickham has been playing Lacrosse since Sophomore year. “I love the game and it has always been very fun for me. I love helping in the work the team does for the community. I have never been very good at Lacrosse, but it is always something I have enjoyed” Wickham says.

Wickham would describe music as his main passion, despite his great love for drama and lacrosse.

“I find the freedom of expression, the passion involved, and the ability to spread a message the most enjoyable aspect of music. Emotion is a big part of our lives and music portrays a lot of it,” Wickham says.

Wickham plays drums for multiple bands which share similarities but are each also very different in style. “I play in four bands; Discomfort, Unsettled, Dispirited, and Oneforall. I also write spoken word for myself.”

On top of playing in these bands, Wickham participates in a program called Freeway Music, which is a school for aspiring musicians of all ages.Wickham has some truly amazing achievements yet continues to shoot for the stars.


Marcus’ plans for the future

IMG_7088.jpg“In a few years I hope to be touring with a successful band, a couple endorsements, and possibly an acting career on the side. I will hopefully achieve this goal by practicing the drums everyday and being involved in community theatre,” Wickham said.
“Remembering where I’m trying to go in my life and the hard work it takes to be successful,” is how Wickham says he stays collected when he gets stressed.

He uses his drum practice as a stress reliever, which helps when one has to juggle a job, family, friends, sports, drama, and school.

Wickham has a steady set of goals to pursue in the future. “I plan to continue in music, attend a college to teach drumset to kids, and work for a degree in audio engineering and business to help in all aspects of music,” he says.

“Blythewood has helped me find a love for acting and has helped me mature. Though school has become very stressful, it is helping me with my future,” Wickham says.

“Marcus is one of the most talented musicians I know, he is a great band mate, and he always keeps us in check and makes sure we are productive and remain focused on our vision for the band,” Sean McDaniel, Blythewood sophomore and one of Wickham’s bandmates says.

Wickham has an abundance of things on his plate as a senior this year, and has not slipped from being well on his way to the future he wants for himself.

He remains on top of school; has maintained a job; actively participates in sports, community service, and drama; has achieved and continues to progress with his music; and most importantly, he sticks to what he loves and cares about most.

Wickham’s passion for what he does is what drives him to push forward in all his talents, and his ability to follow his ambitions is looked up to by many of his peers. Blythewood is diverse because of the unique people like Wickham who make up the student body.