Friday, March 11, 2016

Beards becoming more outlandish

By M’Chaelah Brown, Freshman
BLYTHEWOOD-  Beards are a trend that were projected to go away in 2013 but decided to stay. In fact 2013 was named the official year of the beard. Three years later and men are still growing beards.


“Since the '50s men have had some type of facial hair. From moustaches in the '70s to goatees in the '90s,” said Allan Peterkin author of One Thousand Beards.


After the '90s was when beards started to slowly make their rise. Isaiah Webb better known as Incredibeard has become a social media star for his beard.


“My wife reacted in a positive way and she loves the way it feels,” said Webb.



“She actually motivated me to grow out my beard,” said Webb.


This is an extremely different reaction for Blythewood High School math teach Rusty Curry.


“My friends accept that I am weird and do crazy things with my beard/hair all the time.  My wife loves a beard, but not an out of control beard. My son begged to see my chin, but my daughters loved the long beard.  My mom has an extreme hatred of any beard,” said Curry.


Every man's beard maintenance routine varies depending on length and the look that they are going for. Some may keep it well groomed while other let it be.


“I did an hour worth of grooming but it was worth it,” Webb said.


“I did nothing to trim it, but I did use beard oil (that I made) and a boar's hair brush to make it look decent each day.  I probably washed it with shampoo once a week,” said Curry.


Also, beards are not as carefree as they seem because of jobs. Beards are still discriminated against and more likely men who are clean shaven are more likely to get hired and promoted. Sixty percent of people's first thought in their head when they look at bears will be negative things.


“Overall people like me with a beard as long as it is in control.  When you're afraid that something might come out and bite you...that's when they thought it was too long,” said Curry.


This is often why politicians, governmental leaders, or people in high power positions do not grow out their facial hair. Because their face can be misread as something bad and it is not a great risk that they should take.


However many celebrities can be seen or have been seen sporting their beard. Including Zac Efron, George Clooney, Ben Affleck and more. Celebrities highly impact what is trendy socially because they are constantly in the media.


Image result for incredibeard rommonMen have not only been growing beards, but putting things in them? Isaiah Webb can be seen on his Instagram putting fruit, lights, and ramen in his beard.


Curry has also put many items in his beard.


“I have put a hamster, snake, glitter, ornaments, bows, and pink hair spray,” said Curry.


Although many men take care of their beards and do cool things to them. Some choose not to so for personal or professional reasons.


“ I would not put anything in my beard because it looks uncomfortable and I think it is dumb,” said Joseph Brown.


“Also as an Assistant Principal decorating or putting things into my beard would not fit the work environment,” said Brown.


Regardless of if men put things in their beards for fun or grow them out long or short. The beard trend was steadily growing and continues to not only grow but make a presence in 2016.

Should the beards stay in 2016 or leave with 2015?