Friday, March 18, 2016

JROTC Leads the Way

BY JAMES COLLINS, Junior

BLYTHEWOOD-- The Junior Reserved Officer Training Corps or most commonly known as JROTC is a program offered to high school students that teaches core army values, discipline, and most importantly citizenship.

JROTC is a program completely student led.

Furthermore, JROTC was founded through the National Defense Act of 1916 by Captain Alden Partridge in Norwich, Vermont.

The program offers every branch of service the military has.

The Blythewood High School Bengal Battalion Commander, Nykia Free describes JROTC as simply “great because it teaches you many great things and it's a great overall experience.”



“It’s an experience because it completely changed my life and turned me into a better person,” senior Mariah Perry said.

The mission of JROTC is to motivate young people to be better citizens. It also teaches ways to becoming a better student.

Bengal Battalion Commander Sergeant Major, Mariah Perry says JROTC has disciplined her more and made her more involved in school.

“JROTC has given me confidence that I didn't have as a student before I enrolled in the class/program. It has provided me with close and life long friends as well as experiences that I can cherish forever. I am a lot more diligent in my school work and have found a reason to want to come and participate in school,”senior Free said.

Many students who participate in JROTC in high school have many ways in order to use JROTC outside of high school.

“I volunteer in my community through JROTC. Knowledge that I have learned in JROTC I use on a daily basis outside of school while I'm dealing with people and or problems,” said Free.

Cadet Sergeant Major Perry says she applies her leadership skills and her communications skills learned in JROTC outside of high school.

Lastly, cadets in JROTC can use JROTC as a way to get into college or for future careers.

When asked the question, how will you use JROTC after graduation, senior Mariah Perry says she plans on using the community service hours that she work for in JROTC and also she plans on joining the army where she will use knowledge learned in JROTC to succeed.

“I plan on applying for the ROTC scholarship and joining an ROTC program in college,” Battalion Commander Free commented.