Thursday, October 23, 2014

Hornets sting 7 victims on JV field

BY CHARLOTTE PALMER, Freshman

BLYTHEWOOD -- Thursday, Sept. 4, the JV field was infested with a hornet nest under the bleachers, and as the crowd got loud, the hornets started to attack everyone in their path causing seven people to get stung.

The crowd noticed the hornets on the cheerleaders.


"I looked down at my arm because it felt weird and the hornet was stinging me, I flicked away the bug and it left a red bump on my arm," junior cheerleader Sera Nichols said.

Five fans of the Blythewood B Team got stung and after those two cheerleaders got stung.

"I am used to getting stung by hornets so when it stung me, it did not really have a big effect on me," Brianna Jones, a fan of the B Team said.

According to National Geographic, hornet stings are said to be worse than wasp stings to humans because hornet venom contains a large amount of acetylcholine that humans can have an allergic reaction to.

"I got stung on Thursday night and I could not even come to school because my arm got really big, and I had an allergic reaction to the sting," freshman cheerleader Maiya Williams said.

Unlike typical honey bees that sting once and then die, hornets do not die after stinging because their stingers are not pulled out of their bodies, National Geographic said.

Hornets only sting when they feel they are being attacked or when their nest is being bothered by someone or something, according to Orkin.

"I saw the hornets stinging one of the smaller children in the crowd and she had a panic attack. Something should be done about the nest. It is huge," fan of the cheerleaders Sherri Nichols said.

There are still a few hornets on the Blythewood High School campus but steps have been taken to prevent anyone else from being stung.

According to Dr. Haffner, calls have been made for exterminators to spray the nest outside.