Thursday, March 2, 2017

BIEBER AND THE ARMY


How Micaiah Simon incorporates both in her life


BY ABIGAIL RIMMER, Junior
Micaiah Simon Video Feature
BLYTHEWOOD-- Micaiah Simon is at her best friend’s house talking with some of her friends when she gets a text from her dad. She smiles at her phone then puts it down.


Micaiah Simon goes to Blythewood High School, where she is a junior who takes all AP or honors courses, and is on the soccer team. Along with this, Simon has lived her whole life with her dad being a part of the army, with frequent deployments.


Her situation has brought her and her family very close together.


“I have a really close relationship with my family, we try to do something together whenever we can and I tell my mom and my sister, Amari, everything,” says Simon.


Her close bonds with her family have helped her with the negative effects of her dad being deployed.


“The hardest thing about my dad being in the military definitely was deployments with him not being there and also getting stationed in different areas because I just wanted to settle into an area but that he has retired it’s much better,” Simon explains.


Being a part of a military family has its perks.


“The military does have plenty of benefits and programs for “military brats”. Every Time I moved, there were so many people who made me feel welcome and made sure I was comfortable where I was. The moves actually brought me and my sisters closer together, because we all had to look out for each other.
And, I actually won a contest to be on the Oprah show and meet my favorite singer, Justin Bieber, because my dad was in the military. It is definitely the most interesting thing that has happened to me,” Simon says.


“Basically , I entered the competition to meet Justin Bieber on Oprah and we flew out to Chicago and we went on a limo ride with Justin and he bought us ice cream. And then after he gave us a private concert and free tickets and backstage passes to his next tour,” Simon said.


Simon describes herself as happy.


“I love everything about my life, my friends, and especially my family, and genuinely enjoy everything I do. I just made the soccer team, I am doing well in school, and i have friends and family who love me. I have so much to be grateful for, how could I not be happy?” said Simon.


Once settling in South Carolina, Simon quickly made many friends. Kimberly Curlee, also a junior at Blythewood, has known Micaiah since elementary school in third grade when they met on the soccer field.


“I’ve known Micaiah since 3rd grade because we played soccer together so eight years,” Curlee says. “If I had to use one word to describe Micaiah it would be caring, because she genuinely cares for everyone around her and the people in her life, especially her family.”


Isabelle Livoti is another close friend of Micaiah’s. They went to Dent Middle School together.  


“We went to the same middle school, so I’ve known her for 5 years but we only really became close freshman year of highschool. Even in middle school though. She was the nicest person around and always had a smile on her face. If I had to use one word to describe her it would be funny because just her laugh alone can make anyone in the room laugh too,” says Livoti.


Both Livoti and Curlee agreed the most interesting thing about Micaiah was her Justin Bieber obsession and that she met him on Oprah.


“I mean, I did not believe her until I saw the video. She always talked about being obsessed with Justin Bieber, she even has a life size cutout of him in her room, so I thought she was just making it all up. It’s just such a cool story and experience and to know I know someone that has been on Oprah. It’s crazy and makes me laugh every time we talk about it,” says Curlee.


Micaiah Simon is a family oriented girl who’s main goal in life is to just be happy. She has had some crazy experiences and lived plenty of different places, but with the help of her close family and amazing friends, she lives life to the fullest and enjoys and appreciates everything while she can.