Thursday, October 12, 2017

Chicago party incident sheds light on dangers of teen parties

BY DIAMOND HERNDON, Sophomore
BLYTHEWOOD-- Going to parties wouldn’t come across as an odd event for teens. It is rather common during this era, however it is not always safe...at least not in 19 yr old Kenneka Jenkins’ case who was recently found dead at a hotel party inside a freezer in Chicago.

According to CNN, Jenkins’ family filed a missing person’s report the night she went missing while at the Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel. Hours after, she was soon discovered in the walk in freezer at the hotel. There has been no release of the autopsy or foul play in Jenkins’ death.

Majority of teen incidents happen while out at a party according to In The Know Zone.



“I think teens should not go to parties past midnight because it is too much going on in the world. They should have a proper in place curfew. I believe teens should never put a drink down while at a party and drink it again later on while at the party.” Parent, Kendra Carter said.

Alcohol is a huge issue on many college campuses according to The Spruce

“I always make sure that I’m with my friends at a party and never alone,” sophomore, Khaleel Hunter said. “Personally I wouldn’t go to a party myself just incase something bad happens. I always make sure to bring my wallet, phone, and phone charger.”

According to WLU Edu going to a party in a group rather than by yourself is a much better option.

“If you leave a party always tell someone where you're  going. She also adds, “I am totally confused and baffled about the situation concerning the 19 year old. It’s a lot of missing pieces to the story, and I’m sorta numb to the situation it’s sad and disheartening. ” Counselor, Carla Kearse said

Make sure to eat food after and while drinking alcohol according to WLU Ed.