Wednesday, November 18, 2015

College tuition increases putting a strain on students and graduates

BY INDIRA CHUNG, Freshman

IMG_5731.JPGBLYTHEWOOD - Over the years, college students have struggled paying for college tuition all around the United States because of its fees.

According to the US Department of Education, college in today’s economy is more expensive than ever before.

“Over the past three decades, tuition at four-year colleges has more than doubled,” said the US Department of Education.



College graduate Paula Chung owes student loans and she had something to say about the rising of tuition.

“I attended St. Leo’s University from 2004 to 2010,” Chung said. “My first three years of college, I used my Military Montgomery GI Bill to pay, but the last three years, I applied for student loans.”

Chung said she thinks the doubling of college tuition “is ridiculous.” Chung claims even though tuition is growing, income is not.

To conclude, Chung says she regrets applying for student loans.

“I should’ve been more diligent in searching for scholarships or internships so I would not have to borrow money to pay for college. Some advice for the people that might need help paying for college: work hard while you’re in high school, maintain a 4.0 GPA or higher so you can get a full-ride scholarship, and talk to your counselors to see what’s right for you,” Chung said.


Penn State University graduate Shakira Harrison also had a word to say about college tuition and how she paid for it.

“I received a scholarship from my dad’s job, private loans through Sallie Mae, and my school gave me federal Stafford loans.” Harrison said.

Harrison also provided a bit of advice.

“I would definitely suggest going to a two years community college and paying for your education with cash while you complete your prerequisites and after two years, transfer to the school of your choice. It saves a lot of money in the long run and you’ll get the same college experience,” Harrison claimed. “Lastly, be smart about your decisions, take your time, and don’t rush through school.”

Nevertheless, college students still strive to focus on getting the education that they need to get to become productive members of society, with or without the costs of tuition in their way.