Wednesday, November 18, 2015

“One Team, One Dream”:Varsity Cheer Team’s Road to State

BY MADDI RIVERS, Freshman

BLYTHEWOOD- Practicing since spring, the first Varsity cheer team's hard work paid off with it's first appearance at the State Finals since 2005.

The Varsity cheerleaders make the typical competition day seems pretty hectic and fun at the same time.

Senior Captain, Daisha Mill-House Brown says her typical competition day is a pay off for all the hard practices.



I wake up do my hair and makeup, eat a good breakfast,  make sure I’m focused, have my headphones, and my bag ready,” Mill-House Brown said. “I don’t really like to be spoken to on comp day because I don’t want anything to affect my mood or my focus. For example, like when we go back into warm ups I don’t want anyone to say anything to me to make me more nervous than I already am. Just say good luck to me before we go out on the mat. That’s it. A typical tradition for me is for my team and I to do our what’s really good chant and interlock arms as we walk onto the mat.”  

Blythewood Varsity cheer team has not qualified for state since 2005 when the school first opened.

“The varsity cheer team has changed their mindset and attitudes about this upcoming season, going to state is a must! One team, One dream!” senior Co-Captain Kennedy Jackson said.

The varsity cheer team has been practicing since the end of April and has progressed tremendously.

We had girls that didn't have a tuck the first day of tryouts that are now throwing all of their tumbling skills with no problem," senior Captain, Cicely Ford said
The Varsity cheer team has all the support they need from family and friends, especially from the Head Coach Kelly Edrington, to go very far this season.

“This year's Varsity cheer team is incredibly talented. One of the most challenging things that I have encountered so far as their coach is trying to make them see how much potential they really have. To me, not making it to state is not an option. This team has the talent and is completely deserving of being there to compete for the title,” Head Coach, Kelly Edrington said.

The varsity cheer team practices on Mondays and Thursdays at Blythewood High School, but on Wednesday's the team travels to ACX, an all Star cheer gym in Irmo, to make sure the team gets the extra help, and extra push to make it to state.

This year’s team has become a very close group of girls, like a family, The girls support each other in everything they do, they also hold team dinners and team sleepovers to bond even more.

Ford says another tradition for the team is when they break at the end of practices or competition days they yell “ 1 2 3, ROAD TO STATE #GETMONEY”