Tuesday, October 24, 2017

'Attack on Titan' gains popularity among manga and anime fans


BY BAILEY BURGER, Freshman
BLYTHEWOOD -- Many know the famous manga and anime Attack on Titan. But not everyone knows how it all started, and how it all turned out in the end.

Hajime Isayama, the creator of Attack on Titan, will explain how it all started in an interview with Mangabrog.

“I came up with the original idea for the one-shot called “Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)” that won me my first ever prize, and then I didn’t think about it for a while after that until I was 22 or 23 or so, when my editor asked me to consider making that old one-shot into a long-term series, at which point I spent a half a year coming up with the details of that whole world. I still feel like it’s pretty shallow compared to the level of the sci-fi universes my older artist friends shared — like, I never read Mu [a Japanese magazine about all things paranormal] or any of that.” Hajime states, when the interviewee stated that the walls and universe he created was one-of-a-kind.



"The manga I like have mature, smart, cool characters. I want to make a manga like that too, but as I go along it’s becoming clearer and clearer that’s just not the manga I’m making." Hajime said after being told that even though he considers himself pathetic, having taken his teenage angst and refined it into a smash hit.

The manga/anime does have a purpose for being extremely violent. And the anime does have a very unique art style and animation style. The universe is set in the year 845, and it is indicated that it is set in medieval times, due to the castles and the building of the wall structure.

There are also many opinions that others have on this manga/anime.

“It’s a pretty cool manga/anime, people that like fighting style anime. It reminds me of medieval times. The structure of the walls is pretty cool.”  stated freshman Jaden Spell.

According to Forbes, the manga has sold over 60 million copies in the USA and Japan.