Thursday, October 19, 2017

New school year brings more stress to teenagers

BY SADIE SANDERS, Freshman
BLYTHEWOOD-- Stress has become a major part of teens’ everyday lives. Since school started, stress has led to changes in sleeping habits, procrastination, and problems with concentrating.
In 2013, a study by the American Psychological Association (APA) called “Stress in America” reported that stress is very common in the teen population. The study found that school is the number one stressor for teens.

The survey also found that stress often affects emotional and physical health. One of the most common effects of stress is a change in a person’s sleeping habits.



“Sometimes, if I have a test coming up or an important project I have to do, then I can’t go to sleep,” freshman Skyler Anton said.

APA and WebMD both report that the best solutions to this issue are to stay away from screens before sleeping and to cut back on caffeine late in the day.

“I try to stay away from caffeine like coffee and Coke after 2 in the afternoon so that I get better sleep,” third grade teacher Ashby Sanders said.

Although it seems contradictory, procrastination is also a huge effect of stress, according to APA.

“Procrastination is something I do regularly, and it’s not something I’m proud of doing regularly,” freshman Abbie Slatton said.

According to APA, even though the biggest stressors for teens are school and getting into a good college, students still suffer from procrastination, which APA says negatively impacts their schoolwork and behavior.

“I think that I shut down when it all gets too much, even though I want to do well in school. It gets too much and then I wait til the last minute to do stuff,” Anton said.

Another effect of stress is problems with concentrating. These problems lead to not being able to pay attention in class, on the field, or at home, APA reports.

“Concentrating is something I struggle with. At [volleyball] practice, sometimes I mess up or miss a serve, because I’m so stressed out about different things, and I can’t focus,” Anton said.

According to APA, a few of the best ways to relieve stress are physical activities, getting more sleep, reserving time for fun, finding ways to show strengths and talents, and talking to loved ones about stress.

Anton agreed with this study.

“My favorite way to stop stressing is to play volleyball. I love it and I’m good at it, so it’s fun,” she said.

Although stress plays a huge role in the lives of these teens and adults, some said they don’t let it get in their way.

“Stress can be overcome. It’s really just a choice you have to make; either you let it control you, or you control it,” Sanders said.